authorgraph

Monday, August 14, 2017

Do you set goals and boundaries in your romance writing? - An example



In my historical romance, Kindred, An American Love Story, my heroine is the granddaughter of slaves, and my hero is an indigenous Oneida. When an interracial relationship pops up as the main plot in a romance novel, it’s usually a Caucasian hero and a non-Caucasian heroine/partner. I was drawn to telling a tale with characters who don’t get much play in researched historical romances. A plethora of historical, Native romances have been written over the years. Most have a Native hero and a Caucasian heroine. And the hero is usually portrayed as “untamed” and “wild” and is often seen by the heroine as “uncivilized.” Okay. I get that the writer needs to convey the independence or the single-mindedness or the uniqueness of the Native character, but “untamed and wild?” About an Indigenous person? Really? Um, er, uh…No. No. No. Those writers needed to have thought harder to find better words.

I used the same criteria for my heroine. If you know anything about my work, you know that I write Black heroines, I write them the opposite of the usual spin seen in the sparsely populated arena of Black, historical romance heroines. I only depict them in multi-faceted terms. No one-note wonders permitted. No one-size fits all demeanors. I expect the same for my book covers. I went against the trend for Kindred's cover. The lack of the hero’s bare chest on the cover might have cost me sales but I wasn’t going that route. No oiled-up “savage.” No skimpy loincloth, or spears. No broken English on his part inside the book. No.

I got pushback on my choice of romantic coupling for my book. The first publishing house I subbed to had doubts the pairing, and their depiction, would pass muster. “Pass muster?” Uh? An editor liked the book but said it might be a hard sell to the reading public. She also asked if I could make a “few changes.” Interested in hearing her out, I read her list of changes. Let’s just say ALL her changes were a no-go. So, I sucked it up, kept the faith, said, “No thank you” and moved on. I finally found a Canadian publisher who liked my characters the way I presented them, and wanted to publish the book. Yay! Victory!

The take-away from this post?

If you are writing your historical romance to fit the trends, be aware that your premise will have to conform to what is popular in the sub genre. It will have to contain the familiar tropes, characters and settings. The sameness will sell it. A certain faction of historical romance readers expects comfort and familiarity with their reading material.

Now if you are writing historical romance to bring a too-seldom-viewed take to the sub genre, it is necessary to have different tropes, non-default characters and unusual settings. If you intend to submit your work to traditional publishing houses, be prepared for a fight. Anything out of the ordinary is anathema to them because they are risk-averse when it comes to the bottom line. If your submission is not turned down outright, and gets accepted, expect a request for lots of changes. Could you handle that? If you can, good. Excellent for you. But do fight for what YOU know is crucial to your story. Do not back down if a story point is important. Stand by your choices and give reasons why a thing needs to remain. Be daring. You might not win the war but you might win several battles. I do caution you that you might end up with an unrecognizable book. Ask yourself if you could live with that. On the other hand, if you cannot handle drastic changes to your story, bypass the drama and go straight to self-publishing. Remember, the point is to make your book stand out from the crowd. Self-publishing is the perfect venue for individuality. Its downside? Promotion falls solely on you. 

I hope the accounting of my journey so far helps. Now go create that stand-out book.

No comments:

Post a Comment