authorgraph

Friday, September 8, 2017

The Ark of Return - A tribute, erected on the grounds of the U. N, in memory of the lives changed and lost during the Middle Passage into slavery




I am ashamed that I'd never heard of this. But it's sort of par for the course here in the States. Any apology or the mere acknowledgement of an apology to for Black misery and/or sacrifice is glossed over, or reported on the news in a 10-second snippet, or ignored greatly lest certain demographics take offense.

Well, I'm here to say: Be offended.

In 2015, a monument that had been commissioned to commemorate the end of the slave trade, was unveiled at the United Nations in New York City. The marker was created by Rodney Leon, a sculptor of Haitian descent. Side note: This talented man also created the African Burial Ground National Monument which resides in Manhattan.

The Ark of the the Return, as explained by the artist, is quite involved. Read his interview here.

I read a couple articles about the piece since I discovered it and all I can say is, I was moved to tears.
It's a piece that was looooong overdue. I suggest that for every Confederate hero statue being de-throned, a replica of this evocative sculpture be set in place.

That certain demographic I spoke of would survive. My people did.


2 Youtube videos on the making of the piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqeMLnxHmy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-gnst3mC8









2 comments: