authorgraph

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Hi! I'm still here. My move kicked my backside but I'm still standing with the help of "QUIET STORM music.YAAAAAAS!

 I'm back again! 

Like I said, I moved last month and it has been a bitch! I'm the type who has to have at least ONE room all together before I take a break. In this case, the room I chose was the living room. IT IS DONE! Now I can rest and unpack the rest of the place on a two box per week basis

To relax while I chill out, I've discovered the new and improved "THE QUIET STORM" radio channel. TQS was a concept birthed by a Howard University student when workers at the university's radio station went on strike. The young communications undergrad (Melvin Lindsey), armed with a stack of his own LPs took over the booth and played "slow jams"to fill the void. His smooth voice capped it off. His voice was the personification of that Smokey Robinson lyric "soft and warm, like a quiet storm." An innovation and a hit were born and WHUR (Howard University's radio station's call letters) has never been the same.

He played Chaka Khan, Angela Bofill, The Brothers Johnson, Herbie Hancock, The Delfonics, Earth, Wind and Fire, Phyllis Hyman, Michael Henderson, The Emotions, Randy Crawford, Labelle, on and on. He even played the "B" sides to their records. These were artists who were NOT getting the wide air play they deserved and he found a home for them

Lindsey was "THE QUIET STORM" and by the time he'd left WHUR, the concept had swept the nation and soon every urban radio station had either a drive time slot or an evening slot for TQS. Even after his departure from WHUR in '85, other DJs kept his signature sound at the station. 

He made his mark. He made history and a legacy and it continues today. Thank you, Melvin!

Give the sound a listen. You'll never be sorry you did.

http://thequietstormstation.com/

http://listen.streamon.fm/whurhd2



                                Mister Melvin Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment