authorgraph

Saturday, January 21, 2017

My disclaimer for DISSENT and the ubiquitous trigger warning for today's romances

Below is the “disclaimer page” for my historical romance DISSENT. I found it necessary to make one because today’s readers tend to be the kind who become triggered by a myriad of things in romance books.  Seems to be the reason why a lot do not read historical romances as historical romances show humans acting according to the atmosphere of the time. The need to include a disclaimer sort of boggles my mind because a number of the same readers unsettled by real history, have no problem with devouring contemporary romances with misunderstood, just-released ex-convict murderer/reformed wife beater/felonious, emotionally-stunted basement dweller heroes and the equally effed-up heroines who love them. In all kinds of interesting ways. But I’m judging (damn skippy) and I digress. I would never want to toss someone into an “episode” so that is why I created this caveat for my book. Personally, I scratch my head because I wonder how these readers get through a day of life. Let’s face it.  LIFE, if nothing else, should have a big, ole trigger warning sign hanging on it. I must say if it did, and I heeded it for one second, I’d never get out of bed in the morning. I’m the type who, depending on the day, when someone bugs me, I either bug their ass right back or ignore their ass off the planet. Oh, yes, intentionally wrong me and the freeze is on. Hiding and cringing is not in my purview. I got a LIFE to live. But that’s just me.

Anyhoo, here’s the warning to the book because humans taking joy in being asshats to others is always in fashion. Especially when said asshattery is sanctioned.

Oops! Did I say that? It sounds timely and familiar and I don’t know why.

Well, in any case, if you are contemplating reading DISSENT, read the “sticker” first and then maybe, just maybe slip on the big girl briefs.

           
            ATTENTION!

This book is written in honor of “Old Skool” style. Meaning? It has descriptive prose, a multi-layered plot and might be viewed as melodramatic by some, even though the heroine is not the usual airhead of old. So, if you think reading this romance written with a twist on “Old Skool” flavor would not be your thing…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

 This book does not contain any characters named “Lady Kylie” or “Duke Larry” using phrases such as “I just can’t deal.” Or “Your Dudeness” or something like that. So, if you are looking for an anachronistic historical…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

This book contains sexual situations but is not the “new” historical where sex IS the plot. So, if you are looking for a “new” historical…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

This book does have sexual situations involving a BW/WM pairing but is NOT erotica. I emphasize this because I’ve discovered that a romance with this pairing seems to be automatically synonymous with erotica in the minds of a lot of readers. So, to not disappoint readers who are looking for straight-up erotica with that pairing…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

This book has a glossary and a bibliography. So, if you do not like informational materials with your romance book…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

This book is a HISTORICAL ROMANCE. So, if you do not like HISTORY in your historical romance…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

This book contains scenes of racial and religious bigotry. death, war and attempted rape. It depicts man’s inhumanity to man, and how when man is given the choice between fear and love, man unfortunately chooses fear most times. So, if you know it offends your tender sensibilities to read about how crappy humanity will be when given the chance…STOP! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU!

I believe I’ve covered everything so there should be no oh-man-she-didn’t-mention-that moments. But if I have missed anything, I am positive you’ll let me know. Gotten this far and what I’ve laid out is OK with you? GO! THIS BOOK JUST MIGHT BE FOR YOU!



No comments:

Post a Comment