authorgraph

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Step away from what everyone else is doing. You're scaring me and boring the hell out of me at the same time.

This is going to be a quick post about some of the recent books I've sampled in the interracial romance genre. Yep. Sampled. Because to finish them would have lowered my I. Q. or finished me. I'm gonna come right out and say it. Yo! Yo! Yo! Fellow authors of IR romance, to a certain few, I implore you to STOP with the stereotypical "exotic" descriptions of your couples. Yeah, he or she can be mesmerized by the attractiveness of the object of their desire but please do not base it all in "otherness." God! I thought that memo had gone out.

I do admit that when my book couple got together, each one mentioned something about their differences. But they did not wallow in it! No waxing creepily, constantly, on and on about physical characteristics that made them different. Unless your whole story deals with that fetish. Then you definitely get major side-eye from me and I move away too. Also, STOP with this off-putting trend of the asshole alpha hero being seen as something HOT. This so-called hero's need to completely dominate, have or rule the heroine's life is NOT romantic. It's weird, psychotic and stalker-like. Know what time it is? I know what time it is. It's time to call the friggin' police, that's what time it is. I'm tired of the take-charge bossy billionaires, the cagey CEOs, the unstable FBI agents, the loopy lawyers, the wounded but nutty Navy SEALS, the maniacal motorcycle men.  Yeech! All of whom are into BDSM. And their un-awakened women brought to awareness by their men's mighty, ever ready genitalia. No. Just no. Ponder another way in which to write a hero. Less of the guys whose fetish lists can only be filled by a trip to the Home Depot.. Please. Do better. I know you can. I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment