authorgraph

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Martha Settle Putney - One of the first African American women to join the Women's Army Corps (WACs)

http://blackamericaweb.com/2015/12/16/little-known-black-history-fact-martha-settle-putney/


From my home state, this lady did her duty, got out and went on to become an historian and an author. Not sure but I believe there is no separate unit now for women. I believe they are commissioned into the regular Army now.

Like the Navy. Different sides of the same coin.

This fact is right up my alley because my aunt was one of many Black WAVEs in the U. S. Navy (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service). She made it her career, establishing herself as a Drill Instructor. She made many a recruit scrub a toilet with a tooth brush. You did not mess with my Aunt Joanie. Trust and believe. She retired after giving 20 years of service.


No comments:

Post a Comment