authorgraph

Friday, November 16, 2012

Thoughts on the older romance heroine


There have been many attempts at different types of romance genres. Several died on the vine due to the lack of readership or the lack of commitment on the part of the publisher. One imprint (I think from  Kensington) from the early 90s featured heroines over 40 years of age and beyond. It didn’t last long. I did get to read one book from the line. I believe it was an over 40 ranch-owning heroine and her younger ranch hand or foreman or a cowboy. I thought it was well written and showed nicely the heroine’s apprehension at dating, loving and bedding a younger man. The hero of course reassures her of his love but she doubts it and sends him away. After much drama they reunite in a happily ever after ending. Well, the line didn’t sell well and was cancelled. Lo, the poor heroine who is older than her hero if she wants true love. If she is presented as a sex-starved cougar she can get her brains screwed out and beyond. Which is all well and good if that is what you are looking for. But if you’re looking for a love story between a mature woman and a younger man, the pickins is slim as my grandma used to say. Extremely slim.

There are two entertaining May-December romances I return to when I need that itch scratched. Both have been made into films that I enjoy also. The first is Love in Another Town by Barbara Taylor Bradford. The second is How Stella Got Her Groove Back by Terry McMillan. I recommend both in both forms to pass any quiet evening. Add lots of popcorn, a beverage of choice and tissues. Watch and savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment