authorgraph

Friday, June 14, 2013

Twitter and Facebook: Havens for haters?


I really am trying to keep my blog about my books and others’ books dealing with the beauty and ordinary-ness of interracial/multicultural characters and relationships. But ignorant, ratchet-assed folk won’t let me. They just won’t let me. I think the books that I and my colleagues write are needed. Woefully so because there seems, no, there is, a ton of hatred out there still about these unions and people of pigment period. Let’s face it, kiddies, just because Mr. Obama is president, we all are NOT getting along in the USA. Look how the man who occupies the highest office in this land has been disrespected since he took the seat. Recall the cretin who yelled out “You lie!” during a State of the Union address? If I had been the so-called "lying" President the guy would now be counting grains of sand on a deserted beach somewhere. I don’t know if the melding of different gene pools scares the simpletons due to the fact that their simple behinds would become extinct, or, and this dumbness is my favorite,  "that the people in a couple should match.”  Phew! Whatever. God help us all. I have two cases to highlight which people’s response to here in the States has been nothing but crazed.

It may not have been the founder of Facebook’s intent and it may not have been the founder of Twitter’s intent but these social media sites have become the havens for dullards and bigots which I have to say are one and the same. These two sites imploded recently over two things: a Cheerios commercial with a racially mixed family (Black father, White mother, and their daughter) and a little 11-year-old boy who happens to be of Mexican descent with a killer voice who sang the national anthem at a basketball game. The negative reactions to these images and performances were jaw-dropping. The nonsense about the Cheerios commercial ran the gamut from “it’s a conspiracy against Black families” to “it’s a conspiracy against White families.” Which is it? Can’t be both at the same time, idiots. Mountains of filth were spewed about the little girl's mongrel looks. Yeah, the reaction is bigoted but a tad funny because it’s a COMMERCIAL! They are actors. You dolts are hatin’ on ACTORS! It really shows the depth of their hatred and intelligence. Now on to the winner of the Exceptionally-Ratchet award. Viewers of the basketball game (I believe it was between the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs, I think it was a home game for the Spurs), took to FB and Twitter to decry that a beaner was singing the anthem of their United States. So sickening. The kid is a US citizen, born and raised here, not that it makes a difference ‘cuz it doesn’t. Venom unleashed on children.
I’m saddened but not surprised. The gross, vile sleeping monster of American racism raised its ugly head and blinked with Barack Obama’s election in 2008. It woke up fully when he got re-elected, said “WTF!” and has been rapping its talons on the tabletop ever since. It has nothing new to add to the conversation; it just has found new quicker, cowardly ways of conveying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment