authorgraph

Sunday, July 20, 2014

The depiction of BDSM in the current crop of romance books. Done well? Done badly? Do readers care?

I've been reading a lot of books lately. I am not a reviewer. I am a writer therefore I read like one. I couldn't review a book to save my bacon because reviews can be crushing for authors. Yeah, yeah, I know they are supposed to be for readers. But some of that critique is unmerciful. Anyway, I wouldn't want to add insult to injury by picking some author's book apart BUT...I can critique the mechanics of an author's writing: the grammar, head hopping, plotting. Ya know. The basic stuff. I also understand that imitation is supposed to be flattering. So I see lot of authors feeding the flattery monster by continuing to ride that horse of the currently hot trend of all-knowing Alpha-hole paired with an unknowing, virginal, or nearly virginal, shuttered [secretary, maid, baby sitter, co-worker, etc]. This popular duo type rolls on like the Crimson Tide each week with the release of scads of copycats. Thanks "50 Shades." Okay. I get it. I understand the fantasy of how a man who takes total charge is heady stuff. But in real-life, not so much. These partners are usually people that one has to call the authorities on. And if these controlling book butt holes are into domination, whoa, then game on! Your Tuesday night, local Ladies' Book Club can't get enough.

The whole domination thing. Personally, I don't find it appealing because it's just not me. I DO NOT take orders well nor do I want to give them. Call me lazy but if sex has to come with instructions and special gear, count me out. I don't mind that the subject matter is being explored in romance. It's its depiction that I find so ugh because it's done so badly. By so many. Over and over again. People who really live that lifestyle must cringe at its depiction in the vast lot of these books. And the problem with these depictions? The casualness of the depiction of something that is clearly so intense and intensive. These books just toss the domination thing in like seasoning to a soup. A little spanking here. Some spiky heels to the back there. Nowadays, one is hard pressed to not find a romance book without some show of it. It's like crabgrass or crabs. Take your pick.

From what I've gleaned from reading some books by the mistress in the genre, Joey W. Hill, this D/s thing is 24/7/365. Not something one dips a toe into only on weekends by pulling out a leather mask and a few black silk scarves on the way to the neighborhood dungeon. It's not something that one takes on and off like an overcoat. The vast majority of these new books featuring BDSM show relationships NOT based in anything remotely resembling that lifestyle outside of accessorized sexy times. I recommend Miz Hill if it is your thing though. Her details and characterizations rang real and made me uncomfortable. One book in one of her most popular series just plain infuriated me. HONOR BOUND went there in tooooo many ways for me. The parts of the series that I could get through were educational but after partially reading it, I knew the subject matter was not for me. But at least I read the best example in the field! Someone with knowledge and accurate information.

But Hay Zeus Christ! The contenders keep coming and presenting book after cheesy book, throwing together what I call a dim bulb of a woman, a woman sleepwalking through her life and a love interest who is beyond Dom. Oh, and since he's soooo aware and she's soooo unaware, he can read that she is a natural submissive right off the bat. He just KNOWS. And he knows what she NEEDS. Always. 'Cuz he's like that. And he proceeds to show her with assorted accoutrements and his body parts. This is where things get out of hand for me. This untried sub is down for it all. From the get-go, girlfriend/boyfriend is into rough sex, threesomes, anal, spanking, bondage. Smiling all the way, saying, "Bring it on, master. I don't know what I need but you do." Holy double penetration, Batman! UGH! These recurring depictions repeatedly show the mindless disregard for the main rules of that lifestyle: trust and consent. Plus a number of these books rarely mention the necessary use of a safeword to be used between the couple. And no, the safeword ain't "safeword." I know it's only fiction but when writing about a real topic that people are getting into, get it correct please! Seems people are still getting their sex education from romance novels. I weep for humanity. I really do.



No comments:

Post a Comment